03 September 2017 / Club News





The citizens got their new season off to a good start with a win against Newtown at Cae Milltir. Bangor were put under early pressure after failing to take the kick off cleanly and Newtown made their tactics clear, recycling the ball to their waiting forwards and charging the line. Withstanding this barrage Bangor turned the possession over and showed they were prepared to spread the ball wide and run with it. Their first visit to Newtown’s half resulted in a penalty. Outside half Nick Dundee showed his worth with a fine kick for 3 points. Thereafter Bangor dominated the first half with their lively forwards providing good ball and Dundee delivered it to the backs to make attacking runs and using the boot to place the ball into the try area. They were unlucky not to score twice being beaten by the dead ball line. A second penalty from Dundee increased their lead. Bangor moved the ball back and forth along the line and eventually their attacking play was rewarded when Cameron Owen tapped the ball into the try area and left wing Dyfed Roberts got there first to touch down. Dundee’s conversion sailed through the post and he then added a long range penalty to give the citizens a 16 point lead at the break.

The second half turned into torture for the home team as they found it hard to dispossess Newtown of the ball, and they spent most of the time defending their line. Trying to run the ball from their try line Bangor fumbled the ball giving away a scrum and this time Newtown spread the ball to Josh Owen on the right wing who crossed for an unconverted try. Bangor was rocking at this stage and a penalty to the visitors gave them a 5 m line out that led to Josh Owen adding a second unconverted try. Bangor finally relieved the pressure when their backs broke out of defence and full back Cameron Owen made ground down the touch line and then a clever kick over the last defender enabled him to drop on the ball before it reached the dead ball line. This was the last Bangor attack and they were faced with a long final period going well into injury time facing a barrage of penalties against them. The visitors needing to score twice and did not opt to kick for goal. Bangor thought they had cleared their line with a penalty kick to touch but some infringement made the referee award Newtown a penalty from the quickly taken lineout and they caught Bangor unprepared when Josh Jones broke free to run in a try that was converted by Dylan Leech. This was the final action and the referee finally blew for time.

More pictures and video highlights are in the gallery








There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments